[Owasp-board] 50K seed fund request (WAS: UPDATE FOR 14-DEC board meeting (WAS: input for Board meeting tomorrow 30-Nov - 150K seed fund request for summit 2017)
josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Dec 15 13:32:02 UTC 2016
The short answer is that the request for funds was not approved. The board
is happy to see the OWASP Foundation funds being used to support OWASP
projects, but we do not believe that putting up the seed money for a
for-profit company is a wise investment on OWASP's part. There were also
concerns about on the budget side of things, whether this event would be
sustainable over the long-term, and the date is very close to our AppSecEU
conference. We barely had quorum at the meeting, but it was a unanimous
"no" vote. Instead, we would like to encourage this team to work with
Laura to put together an outstanding Project Summit on behalf of the OWASP
This is my recollection from the Board meeting. The recording should be
available today, if it isn't already. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
but I know that you wanted to get the results as quickly as possible.
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
> what was the outcome of this topic on the board meeting?
> kind regards,
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> We decided on the summit dates: 12-19 June 2016.
>> And found a really good venue in the UK.
>> We updated the budget with the information from the latest venue quote.
>> SHORT Version: *we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 USD and
>> include the full repayment of the seed fund in the budget.*
>> <https://github.com/OWASP/owasp-devseccon-summit/blob/master/Logistics/FundRequest.md> *is
>> updated as well (with the link to the detailed budget).
>> DETAILS of the updated budget:
>> We took into account the estimated number of attendees and 24h / day
>> delegate split (60% - 40%).
>> My assumption is that everybody comes/pays for the 5 days.
>> 24h tickets are 992 USD for 5 days
>> day tickets are 285 USD for 5 days
>> people have to pay/arrange their own travel (less logistics for us).
>> We also assume we will get help from owasp staff, so I lowered the Org
>> team cost.
>> We currently have 17500 USD in donations. (not counting the project
>> summit budget which logically would be transferred to this summit).
>> We lowered the estimated donations from chapters/projects to 40.000.
>> The total expected spend on the venue will be about 151081.6 USD.
>> This means *we need at least 45324.48 USD (30%) to reserve the venue
>> within 2 weeks*.
>> *So we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 and include the
>> repayment of the seed fund in the budget.*
>> We think the updated budget is realistic.
>> By having the majority of the people pay their own ticket, the summit
>> should easily break even (or maybe have a surplus as seed fund for next
>> Once we get the seed fund and reserve the venue we should start the
>> registrations asap.
>> To cover the 30% reservation fee, we must sell *at least 46* 24h-tickets
>> 10 weeks before the summit (3-APRIL).
>> We have done the whole budgeting in USD.
>> To eliminate currency risk (high) I propose we charge the tickets in GBP
>> by wire (we have a GBP account in our Europe account).
>> As stated before - I will not be able to join the call because of the
>> timing (midnight for me).
>> But feel free to call/connect to us beforehand (I can be reached on +32
>> 478 504 117 - CET timezone).
>> Looking forward to a positive response and seeing you all in June for our
>> next Summit!
>> Thank you,
>> Kind regards,
>> Seba, Dinis, Francois
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>> As the board meeting on 30-Nov was cancelled, I added this to the 14-dec
>> board meeting as topic.
>> 1) We really would like to have any *questions or concerns raised during
>> the coming days?*
>> We can then use the remaining days prior to the board call to respond to
>> your questions and hopefully have your approval on the Dec 14th.
>> 2) Can the timing of the board meeting be put somewhat earlier to make it
>> more European time-zone friendly (and maybe put this early in the agenda)?
>> We can then participate during the call.
>> We see a lot of interest and enthusiasm from people that want to
>> participate from inside and outside our community.
>> Check out the list of 70+ people here http://doodle.com/poll/
>> You should probably also add the dates you could make it?
>> Kind regards,
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>> hi Board,
>> We have prepared extra information and our first draft budget (being
>> reviewed by Laura/Andrew) here (and beow)-
>> The timing does not allow me to participate in the call (midnight for CET
>> You can contact us for any further questions or remarks.
>> Hoping for an approval to push the summit forward and keep our momentum
>> Kind regards
>> Our draft budget is available here: https://github.com/
>> devseccon-summit-budget.xlsx We will further refine and improve this
>> together with Laura and Andrew in the coming days.
>> We already submitted the summit in OCMS. Which is being followed-up by
>> the OWASP staff.
>> Next week we will have the summit week decided (probably in June 2017)
>> and we are currently visiting and talking with multiple venues.
>> As soon as we have the final timing we will contract the venue together
>> with Laura, Matt and Andrew.
>> Let's be clear: we do not ask for 150 as a sunk cost or as a blank cheque.
>> We will tap into several sources of income to organize this summit:
>> 1. people coming to the summit will be asked to cover their own
>> travel/accommodation. We will only sponsor invited people that do not have
>> support from their own organisation.
>> 2. we will ask the participating projects for seed funds: e.g. SAMM
>> already donated 10.000 USD
>> 3. we will ask chapters to sponsor the summit with the budget they
>> have available (potentially 750K+ USD)
>> 4. we will create sponsor packages for our regular OWASP sponsors to
>> support this summit
>> We do not expect that we will be making a profit, and that is not our
>> goal. But we will definitely want to break-even with the above sources of
>> income (like we already did with the SAMM summits in previous years). We
>> see the 150K seed fund as our "starting capital" to assure that we can book
>> the venue and start the logistics. And, of course, we will involve you and
>> the staff on any major steps that would impact the financial bottom-line.
>> do we get out of this, or what is our "ROI"?
>> It all starts with getting the right people together working on the right
>> content. So our main goal is to organize workshops, sessions & sprints at
>> the summit driven by both DevOps and AppSec people & principles. The first
>> list and (active) collaboration is already starting here:
>> Our objective is to make a big impact and productivity boost on our
>> projects and community by getting the main DevOps and AppSec people in one
>> venue for 5 days 24/7 in "summit-mode". We are getting very positive
>> feedback and people that indicated that they will come (see the Doodle here
>> The Summit success will be measured by the impact we will make with our
>> summit deliverables and the impact on OWASP projects & the community.
>> Seba, Dinis, Francois 27-Nov-2016
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Owasp-board