[Owasp-board] 50K seed fund request (WAS: UPDATE FOR 14-DEC board meeting (WAS: input for Board meeting tomorrow 30-Nov - 150K seed fund request for summit 2017)

Seba seba at owasp.org
Mon Dec 12 17:54:46 UTC 2016

Dear all,

We decided on the summit dates: 12-19 June 2016.
And found a really good venue in the UK.

We updated the budget with the information from the latest venue quote.
SHORT Version: *we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 USD and
include the full repayment of the seed fund in the budget.*

*https://github.com/OWASP/owasp-devseccon-summit/blob/master/Logistics/FundRequest.md
<https://github.com/OWASP/owasp-devseccon-summit/blob/master/Logistics/FundRequest.md>
*is
updated as well (with the link to the detailed budget).

DETAILS of  the updated budget:
We took into account the estimated number of attendees and 24h / day
delegate split (60% - 40%).
My assumption is that everybody comes/pays for the 5 days.

24h tickets are 992 USD for 5 days
day tickets are 285 USD for 5 days
people have to pay/arrange their own travel (less logistics for us).
We also assume we will get help from owasp staff, so I lowered the Org team
cost.

We currently have 17500 USD in donations. (not counting the project summit
budget which logically would be transferred to this summit).
We lowered the estimated donations from chapters/projects to 40.000.

The total expected spend on the venue will be about 151081.6 USD.
This means *we need at least 45324.48 USD (30%) to reserve the venue within
2 weeks*.
*So we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 and include the repayment
of the seed fund in the budget.*

We think the updated budget is realistic.
By having the majority of the people pay their own ticket, the summit
should easily break even (or maybe have a surplus as seed fund for next
year).

Timing:
Once we get the seed fund and reserve the venue we should start the
registrations asap.
To cover the 30% reservation fee, we must sell *at least 46* 24h-tickets 10
weeks before the summit (3-APRIL).

Currency:
We have done the whole budgeting in USD.
To eliminate currency risk (high) I propose we charge the tickets in GBP by
wire (we have a GBP account in our Europe account).

As stated before - I will not be able to join the call because of the
timing (midnight for me).
But feel free to call/connect to us beforehand (I can be reached on +32 478
504 117 - CET timezone).
Looking forward to a positive response and seeing you all in June for our
next Summit!

Thank you,
Kind regards,

Seba, Dinis, Francois