[Owasp-board] UPDATE FOR 14-DEC board meeting (WAS: input for Board meeting tomorrow 30-Nov - 150K seed fund request for summit 2017)

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Dec 8 03:36:14 UTC 2016

Seba,

The dates and times for the Board meetings are determined at the beginning
of the year and are really difficult to move a week before the date.
Personally, I was much happier when these meetings were earlier in the day,
but that made it more difficult for Andrew to attend.  That said, I
understand the rationale behind the request for a more
Euro-timezone-friendly meeting time.  The feedback from the last Board
meeting, based on the issue of representation, was that the planning team
should try to get a representative involved in order to have someone who
can push this forward, if you aren't able to make it to do that.

Thinking out loud here, I think that part of the problem is that the Board
is focused on some other major things right now and this is lower on the
list of priorities.  I know that sounds bad, given that AppSec is our
mission, but the OWASP Foundation can't move forward without a budget or
strategic goals, but this summit is a very recent addition to the agenda.
All of this is compounded by the fact that we don't have an ED to align us
operationally, which just stresses the need to fill that void so much more.

I think that the hesitation here is because of the size of this request.
If it was "We need $20k of seed money", that would be a very simple vote,
at least IMHO.  $150k, however, is a VERY significant portion of our annual
budget.  Which means that it must be budgeted.  Which goes back to what I
said in the last paragraph about needing the time to focus on the budget so
we can move forward.  If you press this, my vote will be "no", because we
don't have the budget figured out to support it.  If you give us the time
to figure out the budget, then my inclination is to figure out a way to
make it happen.  It's a good time for this request, but something of this
size can't be forced, it must be planned.  Please give us some time.

~josh