[Owasp-board] Waspy is it a serious award?

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Mon Aug 15 23:29:22 UTC 2016

Like I said, the first step would be to engage in an educational campaign.
I spoke with several leaders world wide over the course of the last 6 weeks
about the WASPY awards. Most confessed that they did not understand what
their intended use was or how to best utilize them for their chapters.
Addressing this would be the most effective way to move the awards
forward.  The tendency to throw something up and then tear it down in favor
of another thing rather than experiment and tweak is incredibly
disorienting to the community as a whole.

At this point, low turnout for the WASPY's is more of a symptom of several
other community stressors than it is a condemnation of the WASPY's
themselves.  For example, there was 15% turnout for the vote by this time
last year. While sadly low, that number is still higher than we get
returned on many of our more existential concerns.  The WASPYs are one of
the most consistently retweeted and talked about activities.  In the
context of the rest of the OWASP environment they are doing just fine.

I expect that as we solidify the community more, the WASPYs will have a
slight decrease or nominal increase in utility next year, followed by
fairly steady increases reflecting increased community activity.

Tiffany Long
Community Manager