[Owasp-board] Let's stand together against DCMA and similar laws

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Thu Aug 11 16:43:57 UTC 2016

Hey Kevin,

You are not the only person interested in this initiative (Which I believe
we spoke about in Las Vegas?  If not, I have another person to put you in
contact with as well).  As OWASP is a volunteer run organization  the best
way for you to move this process along is bottom up rather than top down. The
Committees 2.0
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/c6621019-08d4-469b-a783-f3ab54583653/owasp-org-index-php-governance-owasp-committees>
is
a great way to address this situation on a larger scale.  For example, as
you form a committee you should ask a wider question--perhaps "What is the
role of security oriented organizations like OWASP and how do we fill that
role according to the OWASP core principles?"  This proposal is likely only
part of the answer to your question. As such, by forming a committee and
driving forward using that tool you can actually craft a sustainable and
flexible suite of actions to achieve your goal with the OWASP organization
and brand behind you.

Rallying the community around the cause before proposing these answers to
the board empowers the board to broadly support you rather than taking
slow, narrow action  and allows the community strong and direct say in the
manner of response. This course also multiplies the number of individual
voices advocating for the cause basically doing double duty.

If you are interested in this, we can discuss how I can support you moving
forward.  The support can be anything from strategy re forming the
committee to a suite of outreach tools to sounding board for recruitment or
ideas.

Tiffany Long
Community Manager