[Owasp-board] We've seized defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Apr 19 03:44:58 UTC 2016

For the record, LASCON 2015 had 6 out of 55 female presenters (11%).  2 out
of 8 of the Featured Speakers were female (25%).  1 out of the 3 Keynotes
were female (33%).  I don't think it's fair to say that "it's clear because
every conference organizational committee has in our history failed to
achieve even 10% gender diversity for over a decade now".

http://lascon2015.sched.org/directory/speakers

In Austin, we also have a woman Chapter Leader and several women who are
active on our planning teams (chapter and conferences).  Dale Carnegie
wrote "Be hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise".  Maybe,
instead of dropping the hammer on those who we think are doing it wrong and
expecting them to change their ways, we should be highlighting those who
are setting a positive example for the community?

I can tell you from my experience running AppSecUSA 2012 that very little
was given to our planning team in the way of recommendations, expectations,
connections, historical data, etc.  We did what we did because it was what
was deemed comfortable and attainable for our planning team.  With the
addition of Laura to our staff since then, I would expect a much higher
level of guidance on best practices and expectations coming from the
Foundation as well as the resources to back that up.  If expectations has
been set for the conference planners, and they are failing to meet those
expectations, then I agree that the Board needs to take swift and decisive
actions to remedy the situation.  That said, I am unaware of any such
mandates that have come down from the Foundation which leads me to believe
that, devoid of any requirements, this is a situation where, right or
wrong, speaker diversity slipped the minds of the conference planners.  We
don't have to be dicks about it by removing speakers and whatnot after
announcements have been made.  If you truly believe that it is our fault,
then punishing the conference planners and selected speakers for our
shortcomings will only upset people.  Bring it to their attention and allow
them to find a solution for this issue.  If they cannot or do not, then we
move forward and knowing that may not be a team we want to award the
conference to in the future.  For now, I'd suggest that we focus on putting
a process in place to either do blind selection or require diversity for
planning going forward.  Once a firm policy has been established and people
are aware of what is expected of them, then naiveity is no longer an excuse.

~josh