[Owasp-board] We've seized defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Tue Apr 19 00:49:30 UTC 2016

The lack of diversity sits squarely the Board’s shoulders for not putting in place requirements on organizers to meet our organizational mission, and it’s our fault for not helping the organizers with active diversity programs such as reaching out to WIA programs, it’s our fault that we haven’t made it clear that 0 women keynotes is not acceptable, and it’s our fault that this keeps on happening, and in fact has happened for as long as we’ve run conferences.

We as a Board must address our non-existent governance over these issues, and build out our capability to attract submissions from diverse communities, and to ensure these under represented communities have assistance to submit high quality submissions and actually get an opportunity to present at a large conference.

The current situation is not any one organizational committees fault, and it’s clear because every conference organizational committee has in our history failed to achieve even 10% gender diversity for over a decade now, it’s 100% not their fault.

It’s our fault. We have to fix this. And we can’t do it by saying the status quo is okay. Let’s address this in the next Board meeting. If you have ideas on improving the motion so we can get some real change, particularly for 2017, let’s get them in there.

thanks
Andrew