[Owasp-board] My input on our response to CH

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Sep 4 15:19:59 UTC 2015

> First, I'm glad we (esp. Matt T.) have taken care of part of the problem
> through mechanics. Thanks all for dealing with that, especially Josh for
> invoking the bylaws to trigger the action.

It needed to be done.  Going after Johanna was the last straw for me.
Fortunately, the Bylaws are clear about an OWASP Leaders right to curb
abusive behavior by requesting removal from the mailing list.

Second, is there further action required with regard to CH?  I'm assuming
> we keep our eyes out for disruptive behavior for a bit and just catch it
> and take action quickly.  I'm assuming wiki editing has been revoked?

Per the Bylaws, I am responsible for notifying Christian that he has been
removed and cc'ing the Board.  I will do that shortly now that Matt Tesauro
has confirmed that he has been removed.  This will likely be a game of
whack-a-mole for a while, but it will eventually cease and we have many
other options available to us.

Third, are there other open issues (people) like this that we should deal
> with proactively?

I can't think of any.  Certainly open to it.

Fourth, what can we do to handle this prior to the face to face meeting?
> As painful as it is over email, I would really rather focus on positive and
> constructive things we can be doing (like proposals for wiki overhaul and
> investments in projects) than re-hashing blow by blow the words of people
> we don't want to be part of the community.  Is there a legitimate legal
> risk here?

Yes, I invoked the Bylaws to have him removed from the list, but there are
still many other things that we should be doing that require quorum as a
Board.  We need to manage this to policy.  I agree that we should try to
handle as much as we can now over e-mail.  Not necessarily because it
wouldn't be time well spent at the in-person meeting, but because this
needs to be handled quickly.  There is always a legal risk.  We need to
make sure that we are acting as a collective team and not as individuals
taking action.

~josh