[Owasp-board] [Governance] Stepping down from Project Reviews

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Sep 2 15:06:49 UTC 2015

I believe Johanna said "It's not about money".  Every time I hear someone
say that it is, I cringe a little because I know that we allocated $50,000
in Community Engagement Funding this year to projects alone and have
$15,650 of that remaining (
https://owasp.org/index.php/Community_Engagement_-_Payments).  I also know
that if there's a need that goes beyond what is budgeted, we have ways to
make that happen outside of this channel.  For example, when Dinis asked
for $100,000 for a Project Summit, we said "Give us a plan and we'll
discuss."

I also cringe when I hear people compare the Projects to the Chapters or
vice versa.  They are both unique and important to OWASP.  Both have needs
that we need to satisfy.  Chapters have historically been more successful
in fundraising because of the large volume of people involved with them,
but that doesn't make them better or worse.  Just different.  Let's be
honest, the Chapter model of fundraising doesn't really work for Projects.
That's ok...we just need to find other ways.

So, let's assume that money is not an issue.  What are the needs that our
Projects have that OWASP is not currently fulfilling.  I don't claim to be
an expert on Projects.  I don't routinely work with them and the one
project that I tried to start at OWASP died a very quick death.  It was an
issue with time and volunteerism, though, and had nothing to do with the
OWASP platform.  I understand and agree that it's not about things you can
get for free like GitHub or wiki pages.  So, what is it?  What do you
need?  We have an in-house graphic designer.  We have companies that we
work with for publishing.  We hired a full-time person to help with
projects.  If there are needs that aren't being met here, then what are
they?  What can OWASP do to make Projects more successful?

~josh