[Owasp-board] How to define active leader?

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Thu Oct 15 01:08:42 UTC 2015

Currently leaders are not required to be paid members. Honorary membership is conferred to active participants, often leaders.

That said I see nothing in the Chapter Leader Handbook section on Governance that addresses leaders and OWASP membership. Three are references to "chapter members" and "founding memes" but in context this seems to only refer to local participants, not paid OWASP members.

If we made this a requirement, we would lose dozens if not scores of chapters, particularly in non US/Europe chapters. Requirement can be a barrier to starting a chapter in certain areas. But I have heard voices on both sides of this issue, but notably in large U.S. Based chapter areas.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation