[Owasp-board] Discussion on Proposal 6

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Oct 13 19:10:35 UTC 2015

All,

Take a look at the list of what is allowed in the project or chapter
handbook.  Then consider all of the things that chapters and projects spend
their money on today.  These lists are not kept up-to-date which what is
appropriate.  It's not a problem in-and-of-itself as Paul et al are usually
pretty quick to approve, but we have heard from a number of members of our
community that it is NOT CLEAR WHAT they can spend their money on.  Think
of the current approach as an Access Control List where we have a default
deny and a very short list of what is allowed through.  It's secure, but
the usability is challenging.  This proposal allows us to dynamically
expand that ACL based on what others in the organization are doing.  Stuff
not in the list requires approval from Ops, just as it does today, but with
the knowledge that approval is an explicit approval for anyone to do it.
We should have no situation at OWASP where something is OK for one chapter
or project and not OK for another.  If you can think of one, please let me
know and prove me wrong.  Liability is limited to 1) The amount in a
chapter or project account (ie. they are spending "their" money) and 2)
What has already been approved for someone else.  This is VERY LOW RISK and
VERY HIGH REWARD because it gets money moving.  If you want to propose
revised language to fine-tune it, please do so, but this is very much
necessary to get people spending.

~josh