[Owasp-board] Motion to approve proposal 3

Fabio Cerullo fcerullo at owasp.org
Tue Oct 13 09:07:33 UTC 2015

Without a clear definition of what an ‘active’ leader is I would vote NO.

We are trying to solve an issue here where volunteers could get access to funding.

Establishing non clear requirements will make life difficult for volunteers and Operations.

Fabio Cerullo
Global Board Member
OWASP Foundation
https://www.owasp.org

> [...]
>
> Active Chapter Leader: An active chapter leader is a person whose name is listed on the chapter wiki page and is included on the administrator list of the chapter Mailman list. Active chapter leaders must be responsive to the Community and the Foundation via email or other correspondence.
>
> Addition for discussion:
>
> If, after a reasonable amount of time, a chapter leader has not responded to inquiries via their contact email and the chapter Mailman list, the Foundation reserves the right to grant leadership status to a new volunteer.
>
> Noreen Whysel
> Community Manager
> OWASP Foundation
>
> On Oct 11, 2015, at 5:55 PM, Tobias <tobias.gondrom at owasp.org <mailto:tobias.gondrom at owasp.org>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Noreen,
>>
>> thank you very much for pointing that out.
>> Could you prepare a description for what would be a definition you think makes sense, for next Wednesday?
>>
>> @Josh: I think we (our operations team and possibly us) need to be clear on that answer for this proposal to work properly.  Otherwise, we will make it ambiguous/unclear and hard  to implement for our team.
>>
>> Best, Tobias
>>

>> On 11/10/15 19:08, Josh Sokol wrote:
>>> I agree 100%.  Is that something that you can work on updating for us, Noreen?  It sounds like you have a well thought out process already.  It just needs to be documented in the proper place.  Thank you!
>>>
>>> ~josh
>>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Noreen Whysel <noreen.whysel at owasp.org <mailto:noreen.whysel at owasp.org>> wrote:
>>> Regarding this proposal, there will need to be a corresponding definition of active in the handbooks. Right now there is only an implied definition that an active chapter is one that fulfills minimum requirements. This is not stated explicitly. There is a line in Chapter 2 that say is at least 4 chapter meetings per year is "recommended" to be considered active.
>>>
>>> In my audits, the decision to inactivate a chapter is discretionary, not prescriptive: Preceding the decision to mark a chapter as inactive, I look to see if minimum requirements have been met. If not, is there a responsive chapter leader or intention and action on the part of a chapter leader to meet requirements? I give a week to reply to my inquiries to judge whether the leader is responsive, and if they request it, a one month grace period to get evidence of activity on the chapter page, after which I will mark them active. (In practice it takes longer. There are a lot of open inquiries at the moment).
>>>
>>> The handbooks will need to have a definition of active to give meaning to this proposals.

>>> 5YES 6YES 7YES more?
>>> 8YES 9YES 10YES almost there...