[Owasp-board] Motion to approve proposal 8

Paul Ritchie paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Mon Oct 12 17:57:13 UTC 2015

To Foundation Board list:

On the topic of *Collecting Chapter or Project Level Budgets*.

1.  Collecting budgets isn't our biggest challenge since there are only
about 20 Projects or Chapters with >$5K budgets right now.  We can develop
a new automated 'form' to collect the budget, and then store them in Google
Drive or Dropbox.  Or, the manual process is simply an email sent to the
Operations team with the Budget attached and again....stored in GD or
Dropbox.

2.  The bigger challenge is deciding IF we are going to Load all 20+
Project/Chapter level Budgets for 2016 into QuickBooks, and then provide
some form of P&L reporting via QB to our Chapters/Projects.
a.  An assessment of incremental automation & manual effort is not
complete, but I've been discussing with Kate & Alison over the past week as
the 10-11 proposals are nearing approval.

b.  Currently we 'do' provide a monthly Transaction report from QB to
Chapters & projects.
c.  The NEW effort would require ADDING the Project/Chapter level budgets
to our QB accounting system for 2016.  Plus designing P&L reports for
monthly distribution, similar to our Transaction reports, aka 'Donation
ScoreCard reports.

d.  *Unknown item, to be researched with Virtual Acct. Team* - Recall much
of the Chapter/Project cash is held in a 'Reserve Account from prior
years'.  So, most of the Chapter/Project level expenses would be charged
against that 'bucket' holding the $495,000 of Chapter funds.

By contrast, the Foundation income & expenses are handled by 'current year
operations', meaning member fees, and income from current year are what is
used to pay for current year expenses.
Net, net, our Quick Books Reporting would need to be modified to more
clearly display the Chapter/Project P&L against their Cash Balance, and the
Foundation P&L.

Paul

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
OWASP Executive Director