[Owasp-board] How to define active leader?

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Mon Oct 12 13:27:55 UTC 2015

I believe I already addressed most of this in my previous comments. Summary:

Neither active chapter nor active leader is explicitly defined in the handbook.

In practice, I use these definitions:
Active chapter: must meet or exceed current minimum chapter requirements
Active leader: must be responsive to inquiries.

Leader activity is much harder to measure where there is more than one. All we really see at the Foundation level is who is making edits to the wiki page and who is active on the leader list. We have no way to know that a leader is active because they are the one reaching out to potential speakers, arranging catering, interacting with academic leaders. So in those chapters with multiple leaders it really comes down to trust and the opinion of their peers, if necessary (as in getting a second leader to approve an expense, for example).

Regarding requiring more than one leader to receive community engagement funding. An example is Manila. John Patrick Lita has done a lot of good, measurable work on his own introducing the concept of application security throughout the country. He was hesitant to add second leaders when volunteers came forward because he felt they did not understand the OWASP mission and AppSec well enough to represent OWASP at that level. As he introduced the concepts, he found people who he felt would make good leaders and added one to Manila and supported the creation of a second chapter in Viscayas.

This seems to be the case in other small markets, even in the U.S. A leader wants to introduce AppSec concepts and gain a comfort level before expanding the team. Some small seed money helps these chapters over the hurdle of introducing OWASP to a community.

All that said, to be honest I am on the fence about whether or not to require a second leader or deputy and am ok with the board coming to a determination on that. Just noting that beyond the responsiveness of the main contact on a chapter record and watching for wiki page updates, it is hard to evaluate leader activity.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation