[Owasp-board] How to define active leader?

Paul Ritchie paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Mon Oct 12 02:40:26 UTC 2015

Hi All:

Re: The question about the OWASP Chapter Handbook and* 'where' it defines
the need for # of Leaders* and an 'Active' Chapter.

In the Handbook under Chapter Governance, Chapter 5, it only requires 1
Leader at this time....although more leaders are strongly recommended and
the hand book encourages more.
*Chapter Leader (or Coordinator): The only governance requirement for every
chapter is to nominate a Chapter Leader, who is the central point of
contact for the chapter and responsible to the OWASP Board. In case of
dispute over the leader role, we suggest rotation over the 24 month term,
if there are multiple candidates and no rotation agreement, elections
should be held for a 24 months term*

*What Defines an Action Chapter.*
Currently in Chapter 2 of the Handbook, 'Mandatory Chapter Rules', any
chapter holding a minimum of 2 chapter meetings a year is defined as an
'Active' Chapter.

*Must a Chapter Leader be a Paid Member or Honorary Member?*   Unless I
missed it...I do not see a requirement that a Chapter Leader 'must' have a
paid membership.
@ Noreen can you confirm this and if you have additional comments, please
add them.

Finally...*.on the issue of these Proposals requiring 2 Active Leaders*.
I agree with this criteria, and although "current" rules do not require 2
Active Leaders.....the 'new proposal' to add 'Seed Money' to some under
funded chapters is consistent with providing 2 "leader / managers" to help
run the chapter, recruit more members and wisely utilize OWASP budget
monies.
At the Operations Level, we would confirm that a 2nd Chapter leader was
identified and participating before "posting' the $500 to the Chapter
budget.

My thoughts on the proposal strategy as well as the implementation.

regards, paul

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
OWASP Executive Director
paul.ritchie at owasp.org