[Owasp-board] [Governance] Proposal to change our bylaws about board member rotation and term limits

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Oct 9 13:10:07 UTC 2015

All boards need renewal and to ensure long term survival of the
organisation. With such a wide field of candidates last year and this year,
we do not have any problems in recruiting new blood for the board, but that
new blood may be held back by folks who have been here a long while and
using their prior incumbency to gain a slot that might deny new ideas for
OWASP that we might otherwise miss out on.

I think three terms in 10 years is okay if towards the top of my
expectations. I am actually quite okay with the idea of two terms in 10
years as we only have 7 Directors. The maximum number of directors would 7
* 5 = 35 directors in total, and realistically, most of us will go for a
second term and even a third term, which reduces it to 7 * 5 / 2 = lets
call it 18 directors in 10 years with two terms, and possibly as low as 7 *
5 / 3 = 12 directors with everyone maxing out their three terms. I am not
sure a max of three terms is healthy, as if everyone affected by this rule
tapers off at once, there will be a period every few years with many new
directors, and few experienced directors.

Willing to discuss further. If the majority agree on three terms I am still
very likely to vote yes, and of course, to take effect once the 2015
elections have been finalised.

thanks
Andrew