[Owasp-board] Discussion on Proposal 6

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Oct 9 12:17:42 UTC 2015

I am really keen to reduce the amount of bureaucracy involved in expense
management, but this is a really well trodden path in every single SME to
major enterprise.

My main concern is no upper bounds on pre-approved expenses. This means
that a local chapter that managed to get an approval for a $50k conference
centre fee, say AppSec AU in 2011, would mean that all chapters would be
automatically allowed to claim that expense too. I want to enable that,
whilst not allowing us to be hit with hundreds of large conferences being
organised throughout the year. We simply don't have the staff bandwidth nor
the funds to do that today.

Typical financial governance is pre-approval for expenses under a certain
dollar value, and a single sign off within the Foundation approval for
expenses between say the cut off and say a $10k limit, and senior
management approval above $10k. In my view, we can hit the home run we all
are looking for, whilst still maintaining good financial governance over
major expenses whilst not ruling out ANY type of expense that a chapter
might be able to come up with.

My view is that we go through all the paid out expenses over the last two
years, and work out some limits. We can tummy tussle over the exact limits,
but I feel the following would be a good start:

$0 - $1500 should cover nearly all expenses paid to date along with the
above proposal's list of pre-approved expenses
$1500 to $10k should be an approval level granted to a project coordinator
or chapters coordinator. All expenses are subject to sign off prior to
incurring the expense
$10k ... $100k is within the signing range of the Executive Director, and
would require pre-approval before incurring the expense
Above $100k would require Exec Dir + Board approval.

That way, local area conference bills of $50k don't hit us without
forewarning, and yet we have the flexibility of allowing LAScon and AppSec
Cali to work without a special rule or budgetary process. The majority of
projectors, catering, room fees, and so on would never be huge amounts of
work for Foundation staff.

I think it hits what you're trying to achieve without opening us up to some
serious financial problems down the track.

thanks,
Andrew