[Owasp-board] Proposal to Eliminate "At Large" Board Positions

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Thu Oct 1 19:11:41 UTC 2015

A few thoughts:
1. I would also very much like to see the committees be build by the
community, however, at this point, I get the feeling that this is not
happening. Not quite sure why. But I see this as the reality we have to
accept for the time being.
2. for the areas, actually, I have a different view, I would be fine for
the board members to be "at large". But I can see a use for certain
focus points to be driven by individual board members. Btw. most boards
have sub-committees (chaired by some of the board members) that focus on
specific areas and develop mature proposals before they are presented to
the whole board for tweaking and approval. In fact that would probably
be useful for us as well as it could improve the maturity of proposal
drafts coming to the board meetings. I don't mind to have a broad
discussion, but in a number of cases, when 2-3 people work on refining a
proposal first, that can later streamline the overall discussion in the
board and with the community.
So I rather not see these focus areas in the hand of one board member,
but could see us have one board member lead a small design team for
certain areas on preparing the drafts to a better quality level. IMHO
that does not mean that each and every board member has to take on one
area. Of course, I would strongly encourage sharing and balancing of
work load on these tasks.

My thoughts on this. Not sure that answers your question.

Best regards, Tobias