[Owasp-board] Apache Brand Guidelines

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Nov 30 23:29:57 UTC 2015

I did talked to the Apache marketing lead about project sponsorship

I asked, why the current guide, how did you get there and does it work?

The main points we discussed form
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ were:

1) Sponsors of Apache and recognized on ONE page only:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html
2) All Apache projects link back to this sponsorship page.
3) Corporate logos are not allowed on any Apache project
4) All project contributors are recognized as *individuals only* in a
tabular list (without logos) which can include the company name they
work for. For example: http://hadoop.apache.org/who.html

The response was:

1) The financial benefit to our marketing brand support limits (no per
project sponsorship) is that we do not have to bucket donations into
different project buckets. That would be an insane accounting nightmare
that we removed when building this guide.
2) The use of Apache trademarks early on was getting to be a problem.
3) This limit led to MORE giant donations form Microsoft and others.
4) This limit let to MORE volunteerism

Also, if someone wants to use the Apache brand for most cases outside of
Apache, they need to ask permission and get approved.

If you would like to join me in talking to them again, we can open a
dialogue with vp-brand at apache.org as a board.

- Jim

PS: At the time the board was not so inclined to shift OWASP in the
direction of Apache. I think such a move would only augment OWASP in
many ways. It's makes OWASP A more "safe place". OWASP is not so safe
right now from a branding trust perspective IMO.

--
--
Jim Manico