[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark project - potential conflict of interest

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:17:33 UTC 2015

I'd like to start by saying that I actually _like_ the Benchmark project.
Myself and other ZAP developers have made some contributions to it, and we
have used (and will continue to use) it to make ZAP better.
I think these sort of testing applications are very valuable to all
security tools, and I'd like to thank Dave and his team for the significant
amount of effort involved in developing and open sourcing it.

But I dont think it should be an OWASP project.
I do not think that a vendor led project can ever objectively evaluate
competing commercial and open source projects.
I do not think that just saying 'pull requests welcomed' makes a project
vendor neutral.
I do not think that a project as mired in controversy as the Benchmark
project can ever recover to become truly independent.

I am very disappointed in the Boards handling of this affair.

Ideally I'd like Dave to understand how much damage this project has done
and to withdraw it as an OWASP project, while still maintaining it as a
very valuable vendor led open source resource.

Failing that I really hope that the Board comes to its senses and ejects
the Benchmark project before even more damage is done.
At the _very_ least it should flag the project as being 'in dispute' (as
Kevin suggested) while a more detailed evaluation is performed.

However I'm rapidly loosing loosing faith that the Board will do the right
thing and protect OWASP's image in the way that they should have already
done.
Members - please make your voices heard before more people and projects
leave OWASP.

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader