[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark project - potential conflict of interest

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Fri Nov 27 21:02:36 UTC 2015

>>But yes, the takeaway is exactly as you say, we need to learn from this
experience, improve our policies and guidelines, and move forward.

I don't think we can just move 'fwd'.

I think OWASP needs to make a statement publicly as son as possible that
OWASP does not agree how this was/is handled by Contrast.

Right now, if there is no statements regarding which position OWASP has
taken , this looks like Jim said
" brush it under the rug."

When people abuse of the brand like they did (not just a logo or talk
commercially in a chapter meeting which is insignificant to this abuse)
there should be consequences, otherwise people will keep on abusing and use
every opportunity to do so.

Jeff tried also brushing the dirt under the rug by trying to convince you
Josh that it's all the machiavellian mind' of Contrast marketing
people...infringement number 2. It seems you were not aware at all of all
the twitter and media circus around OWASP name brand abuse and benchmark
project.

You spoke with him some weeks ago? On 12 November Jeff was doing marketing
on twitter with benchmark....this video should take also down with Jeff
speaking, OWASP logo and DHS logo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKCq0GufgLk&feature=youtu.be&utm_content=24253833&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin

https://twitter.com/search?q=owasp%20benchmark%20jeff&src=typd
[image: Inline image 1]

 I will repeat the words done by Chris Wysopal in his article as conclusion
to the Benchmark project

Once developed, the OWASP benchmark has the potential to be a valuable tool
for companies struggling with application security challenges. I*n its
current state, it does everyone a disservice by indicating there’s a silver
bullet to solve their problems.* *We all know this to be a silly
presumption.* Application security is a difficult challenge and businesses
need help to understand which techniques can and should be applied to the
various aspects of the challenge. *It’s time for the vendor community to
stop being salesmen and start being advisors on a complicated issue.*
Software has eaten the world and attackers are gorging themselves on a
seemingly endless supply of vulnerabilities.

While I think the same as him, this project should be set back to Incubator
as a punishment and a statement.

*Tony Turner>>Lastly, it is my opinion that project leadership should not
belong to anyone working for or with a partnership/ownership stake for any
vendor being evaluated. I think this is a flawed model and should
transition to a vendor neutral party.*

Allowing this project to exist without being properly tested with other
vendor tools by a group that has no conflict of interest is also a very bad
message OWASP sends.

Thats why I set a project research for this project:
http://jowasp.github.io/researchtopics.html

Even worse this project received sponsorship of DHS . How much? I'm
curious.

You know how bad this looks? i hope so this makes you more aware, and
actions are taken not just 'change our guidelines'...

@Tony: I'm looking to do an independent research and publish my findings. I
have no commercial involvement in this project and I believe I can provide
neutral view of the effectiveness of the tool, what does cover and what not

If OWASP and the vendor community supports my research , then we are
talking about a neutral benchmark project.

Regards

Johanna