[Owasp-board] Rethinking startegy regarding projects

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 10:00:44 UTC 2015

I agree that this is a good time to rethink OWASP's project strategy.
Creating and maintaining high quality open source projects takes a lot of
time and effort, and can only be done in ones 'spare time' for a relatively
short period.
Successful projects need sponsorship and people who are able to dedicate a
significant part of their working week to them.
Abandoned or poorly maintained projects only damage OWASP's reputation.

Should we effectively ditch all but the flagship projects? Only taking on
new projects when they reach that level of quality?
Would a tool that becomes successful in its own right _want_ to be adopted
by OWASP?
Should OWASP ditch project altogether??
Or maybe just ditch all but the documentation projects?
Maybe we should just recommend open source projects, a sort of 'OWASP
approved' badge?

If we do keep some projects (and I think we should;) then what purpose
should they serve?

   - Providing high quality tools that help make the internet more secure?
   - Helping people learn about security?
   - Driving awareness of OWASP? (How would people learn about OWASP if not
   via projects like the Top 10 and ZAP?)
   - Provide tools and features that commercial companies are not currently
   providing (effectively, or for a reasonable price)?

Interested to see what other people think.

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader