[Owasp-board] Questions regarding Developer outreach program

Matt Konda matt.konda at owasp.org
Mon Nov 23 23:47:44 UTC 2015

Johanna,

It is totally fair that the proposal is not well fleshed out.  I put it out
in that early state with the hope that folks would collaborate in putting
detail into it and we would come up with an awesome way forward working
together.

To be clear though, it was never intended that a major portion of it would
be funding travel to developer conferences.  I for one have already been
doing that for years, as have many others, on our own dime.  So I think we
all agree that's not what we want to do here.

What it is about is:

   - Participating in DHS and IEEE standards efforts.  These organizations
   are moving forward with or without us and if we don't participate I think
   we risk losing our place as the de facto standard for application security.
   - Making an investment in DevOps.  This includes conference and summit
   activities.  This is an area we have mixed results at so far but we have
   some active work happening that we can either leverage or let fall to the
   wayside.
   - Building a data collection and metrics focused initiative so that we
   have something behind us when we say that X,Y,Z are the most important
   things going on and A,B,C work.
   - Building training content and capabilities.

I look forward to your input.

Matt