[Owasp-board] Project Platform

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu May 28 16:00:00 UTC 2015

Some great thoughts and ideas here Matt and I agree with pretty much
everything you've said.  IIRC, I think there were challenges with using
Meetup as a platform over in APAC (China?) which I think is why it hasn't
received a more global adoption.  In general, I do like the idea of a
centralized platform for our chapters to organize events in a way where
they are easily found by people in other communities.  For example, a
search for "security" in Meetup should yield the OWASP meeting in your area.

One thing that I also like about Meetup is the open Discussions forums.
I've tried for years now to get a social platform for OWASP that isn't the
mailing list.  I've spent quite a bit of personal time with the content on
http://my.owasp.org, and promoted it a few times, but despite my best
efforts, it seems that OWASP very much prefers these old school mailing
lists for communication.  It's been a great platform for OWASP Austin, but
there's not much activity outside of that, unfortunately.  My ideal would
be a scenario where content on the mailing list is sync'd to the discussion
forums and vice-versa.  I'm not sure how possible that would be, but it
would certainly make these kinds of conversations more available and
searchable to those not "in the know".

~josh