[Owasp-board] RSA

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu May 28 14:23:55 UTC 2015

+1 Matt.

We have a mission to steer clear of endorsing commercial companies. This
is a very important factor in keeping our volunteers motivated and
willing to help us meet the OWASP goals of "everything free and open"
around spreading AppSec awareness.

I question the whole program around co-marketing with commercial
conferences since it's pretty much an endorsement of their conference.

So while we should be sending folks to developer conference to spread
awareness, I would prefer to limit "conference marketing partnerships"
with conferences that are open source and largely non-commercial.

But make no mistake, I think Matt's take on the RSA issue is pretty spot on.

So to board members who are actively doing things like making
partnerships with commercial companies, or trying to steer us in the
direction of delivering commercial services, I ask you to please
re-focus on free and open as well as vendor neutrality.

Aloha,
Jim Manico