[Owasp-board] Update - CFT Issue re:PCI training via OWASP

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri May 8 02:48:12 UTC 2015

I do like the way Paul is looking at this. We can't govern to the largest voice. Paul has good ideas around structure and a reasonable approach to tackle new topics.

> [...]
>
> We need to move the healthy debate into a structured proposal for, or against something.  That proposal process from the community, coupled with the decision process by OWASP leadership is an effective way to reach community consensus on programs & policies (i.e. recent funding approvals for SoC and Project Summit).
>
> So....perhaps the community could use the Committee 2.0 process to set up a 'Training Steering Committee' much like the Project Review Committee to help us stay true to our core values.
> I really think this will help ensure Community knowledge, history and expertise are included as we evaluate various training programs going forward.  We have big goals this year, and our Operations staff could certainly benefit from your help & experience.
>
> I'll be in Amsterdam later this month and eager to brainstorm some of these ideas with others who are attending.
>
> Paul
>

> Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
> OWASP Executive Director
> paul.ritchie at owasp.org
>

>> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> I would like to shut this down because it makes us a security vendor. We do not want to be that. We want to be an open source company where all of our materials and projects are free. To support our strategic goal I suggest we build free training materials for all to use.
>>
>> ••• I admit I am biased because I am a professional trainer and will excuse myself from any vote on this or other training issues.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Jim Manico
>> @Manicode
>> (808) 652-3805
>>
>>> On May 7, 2015, at 1:04 PM, Paul Ritchie <paul.ritchie at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> To OWASP Board Group List:
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to see a healthy discussion and strong viewpoints about Training since this is one of our continuing Strategic Goals for 2015.  Let me provide some 'first hand' information about this CFT.
>>>
>>> Specifically, this opportunity came from a company who 'knows about OWASP' and knows and respects our 'quality & style' of training.
>>>
>>> They wanted some PCI training for their developers and their "end user service reps" and they wanted OWASP to provide the training, not one of the other commercial entities.
>>>
>>> As we evaluating this, we determined it met several of our key goals and objectives, so we decided to run it as a pilot or trial to see how it worked out for the Community and OWASP.  Does it meet our Core valules?   Open? - check, Innovative? - check, Global? - check, Done w/Integrity? - check.
>>>
>>> 1.  It meets the Training goal, and more specifically it provides training to ~125 Developers as well as ~1,000 customer service reps.
>>> 2.  To keep opportunities 'open' we decided to make a broad Call For Trainer, like we do at our AppSec Conferences.
>>> 3.  To ensure the content was not exclusive, we required the open webinar training to be produced
>>> 4.  We are not providing any sort of "certification" for the training - it is knowledge sharing only.