[Owasp-board] Update - CFT Issue re:PCI training via OWASP

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri May 8 01:06:48 UTC 2015

+1

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode
(808) 652-3805

On May 7, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Tobias <tobias.gondrom at owasp.org> wrote:

 I tend to agree with Josh, that this is a sensitive situation and we
should be careful.

Maybe to give another comparison that came to my mind:
You could see it as if we were to help a company hire a contractor. That
this person is training OWASP materials is nice, but does not get us away
from the fact that we do recruiting for one company.
Normally we would not use our global "catch-all"-list for such a feature,
even for money. This is pretty powerful. We would probably delegate this to
individual chapters to decide. And even in case of a chapter, we would IMHO
treat this carefully to avoid favouritism or abuse of the community. In
this case, this could probably also have just been sent to the community
list instead of to all.
I think an email to "all OWASP" should only be used for major and pure
OWASP communication and not lightly.

Please note, that I am not saying categorically "no", but I am feeling
sensitive about how things have happened in this case and how our
organisation might be perceived or misperceived here.

Just my 2cents.

Tobias

On 07/05/15 22:36, Josh Sokol wrote:

   I tend to agree with Jim, albeit for slightly different reasons and I'm
not really sure it makes sense to shut it down if we've already agreed to
terms on this.  I'm generally unconcerned about OWASP putting out a CFT for
training as we do it all the time for conferences or other events like the
one in NYC not too long ago.  The method of sending it out to all mailing
lists was a bit unorthodox, but that's beside the point.  My concern is
around the "openness" factor.  To me at least, having an open webinar does
not equate to having access to training material content and a trainer.
The major difference is that this is NOT an open training.  We are not
reserving a room someplace and putting out an open call for trainers based
on addressing a desire from the community.  We have a private entity
requesting a private training and are then trying to make up for that by
having them offer a webinar as well.  It's not the same thing.  Not by a
long shot.  If a training program like this were to succeed amongst the
OWASP values then it should go something like this:

 1) A set of training materials is donated to OWASP as part of a new
project.  Those materials are open source and open to community
contribution.

 2) OWASP sets a date and location for a training, perhaps based on a
need/request, and puts out a public call for a trainer to facilitate using
the training materials in #1.  Any supplemental materials the trainer would
like to include would need to be contributed to the project for use by
future trainers.

 3) The selection of the trainer needs to happen via an impartial group of
people using an unbiased methodology.

 4) A public sign-up is initiated to fill slots for the training.

 This is ground that we need to tread very lightly as we run the risk of
competing against the very companies that fund us, making us a security
vendor as Jim pointed out, and putting us in the position where we can no
longer claim to be vendor-neutral.  At conferences, trainers propose the
content and then the planners select what they think the attendees would
like to attend.  It scares me that we equate that to a private company
selecting the topic, filling up all slots, and then selecting a trainer to
teach the content.

 ~josh