[Owasp-board] Update - CFT Issue re:PCI training via OWASP

Paul Ritchie paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Thu May 7 21:04:32 UTC 2015

Hi...I've worked with many organizations and I'm enjoying how passionate
and engaged people are about OWASP.

I see a missing link here in several of our recent email threads about
Training, or Summer of Code, or Project Summit to name a few.
How do we provide community oversight and consensus for various programs,
specifically training?

As an open community we strive to inform everyone about 'whats going on'
and why.  And then many have strong opinions about "I love it, or I hate
it" or "Go, or Stop".  My mandate is to use our people and resources to
achieve the Goals & objectives of OWASP.  I cannot change direction because
1 or 2 or 4 people proclaim what "should be done" on an email thread.  I
respect & listen to those opinions, and I may include that sage advice in
our action plans, but I think we all know my objectives come from the
Board, not from individuals.

We need to move the healthy debate into a structured proposal for, or
against something.  That proposal process from the community, coupled with
the decision process by OWASP leadership is an effective way to reach
community consensus on programs & policies (i.e. recent funding approvals
for SoC and Project Summit).

So....perhaps the community could use the Committee 2.0 process to set up a
'Training Steering Committee' much like the Project Review Committee to
help us stay true to our core values.
I really think this will help ensure Community knowledge, history and
expertise are included as we evaluate various training programs going
forward.  We have big goals this year, and our Operations staff could
certainly benefit from your help & experience.

I'll be in Amsterdam later this month and eager to brainstorm some of these
ideas with others who are attending.

Paul

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
OWASP Executive Director