[Owasp-board] Meetups

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Tue Mar 10 03:41:22 UTC 2015

Hi Bev,

I am not aware of that specific restriction, although I would assume that members of a chapter would expect meetings to be held within their local areas most of the time. If a meeting were held outside the chapter area, and especially if there is already another chapter in the proposed meeting location, we would expect the courtesy of inviting the other group to participate, or at least informing them of the meeting in case there is a potential conflict or competing event.

I am aware that the Brooklyn chapter has tentatively planned a May meeting in Midtown Manhattan. Brooklyn is located in very close quarters with NYC, LI and NJ and these chapters share some of its leadership, so I am assuming that there has been discussion among the chapters involved. Given this point I wonder if it is less about territory and more about developing the Brooklyn chapter within its own community. Has there been difficulty finding meeting space? Are there organizations and institutions in Brooklyn that we should be trying to connect with?

There are other chapters with similar satellite type relationships, which you may want to look to for guidance, although my impression is that the NYC relationship is strong. Chapters may in fact choose to connect with or provide support to other chapters that are not nearby. We hope that in the long run these relationships serve to strengthen the OWASP community at large.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation