[Owasp-board] OWASP not selected for GSoC

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Tue Mar 3 16:07:24 UTC 2015

Here's a start on a writeup, with thanks to Paul for his thoughts:

So OWASP was not selected for Google Summer of Code. Neither was Mozilla or Tor or the Linux Foundation. This isn't a huge blow for OWASP, since even though is is a valuable grant, it represents less than 5% of Community funding. If anything it is a blow to students and the public who would have benefited from they publicity and reach of these global mentoring organization.

But we don't have to leave it at that. OWASP projects & innovation will continue with our University Challenge program at AppSecEU and the Project Summit which will also focus on new project ideas. Students around the world are eager to participate in and learn from OWASP activities. Our own Manila chapter has attracted a student crowd of 900+ people. We have more events coming up (FABIO: what else? I know Cluj is doing some kind of student oriented event and what other things are planned for students for LATAM and other upcoming tours?)

Look at all these great ideas:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2015_Ideas

History of GSOC @ OWASP - (need content here from leaders, why GSoC is important, something about OWASP mentors developing new AppSec leaders...)

Find out how you can get involved with OWASP by reviewing our global projects or a local chapter near you.

Projects: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project
Chapters: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Chapter

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager