[Owasp-board] OWASP not selected for GSoC

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Tue Mar 3 15:15:26 UTC 2015

Some orgs could survive without Google support for a year.. while others
depending on it. So I think this year Google decided to leave out the big
players like Linux, Tor, Mozilla, OWASP and give those slots to smaller
organisations.

Makes totally sense

If we want to organize similar initiatives we also have to pay students
Gsoc pays USD 5,000- for 3 months work to students participating

We tried a similar approach with OWASP Winter of code, but when
you don't pay, you don't get much back or students drop from the program

I think we need to focus on a strategy where projects can get enough budget
to pay a developer to work on features
I'll would love to discuss about this during the summit

regards

Johanna