[Owasp-board] AppSecUSA 2016 - Discussion

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Mon Jun 29 22:48:52 UTC 2015

Michael,

Agreed we need to get on it.

My views are to first pick a city, and then that should help crystallize
volunteer support once they know for sure that they are getting a major
conference.

   - *NYC* - we had a great event in 2013, and we know the hotel can help
   us even if we don't have bodies on the ground. We can use the additional
   revenue from a lack of splitting with a chapter to use more hotel resources
   in the planning phase.
   - *Baltimore* - this is close to OWASP HQ, and thus Foundation staff can
   do be there without hotel and travel costs. BWI is a great airport and has
   public transport linkages to Baltimore.This is a good option if we don't
   find any on the ground volunteers, as I'm sure Baltimore has similar
   convention capabilities to NYC, plus local OWASP staff.
   - I would suggest we consider *DC* as a distant third option for
   discussion as that DC is a hub for government agencies, but honestly, this
   is almost as bad as NYC in terms of getting OWASP Foundation staff to
   travel to DC as it's a good 1.5-2 hours from OWASP HQ to DC.

I think we need to pick a location, and then find volunteers to help once
they know that it will be in their neck of the woods.

thanks,
Andrew