[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] NIST, the NSA and fun with crypto reviews

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Jun 1 14:10:46 UTC 2015

> I also note that http://www.rsaconference.com/speakers/james-manico
> was the "VP of Security Architecture, WhiteHat Security" yet presented
> http://www.rsaconference.com/events/eu13/agenda/sessions/551/top-ten-proactive-software-controls
> as an OWASP Project Leader which is a conflict of interest

Christian,

You are right this looks fishy. I used the RSA template per their request. Since this talk (which was in 2013) I have open sourced the material, rebranded it using the OWASP template and attached the raw PowerPoint to the proactive control project under the "Quick Access" section for all to use. As a board member I need to keep away from even the appearances of conflict of interest and will endeavor to do better in the future. I hope this addresses your (fair) concern.

See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Proactive_Controls
And
https://www.owasp.org/images/3/33/OWASP_Top_Ten_Proactive_Controls_v2.pptx

Regards,