[Owasp-board] Update on 2016 AppSec Conference & 'Call to Host'
paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Thu Feb 26 20:13:55 UTC 2015
Hello OWASP Board members:
Issue: During our OWASP staff meeting today we discussed that we have not
received any proposals to host an AppSec Conference in 2016.
Laura put out the call for proposals back in late December, and it was
followed up in our Connector newsletter. The Deadline for submissions was
February 27. Although several people looked seriously at the prospect of
hosting, none have submitted a formal proposal to host the 2016 AppSec.
Next Steps: I plan to extend the 'Call for Proposals' period another 3
weeks to see if we can stimulate some additional interest for our AppSec
conferences in Europe & US. To accomplish that, I have streamlined Laura's
original email and plan to resend no later than Monday, March 2 to our
Leaders & Community email group lists.
During our Staff meeting today we discussed several good options in case we
don't receive a proposal, but first, lets give the Community another
opportunity to 'step up' and 'take the lead' for our 2016 events.
Just FYI for now since several of you were asking about progress in this
========== TEXT OF APPSEC2016 CALL FOR PROPOSALS =============
Is your Chapter or Region interested in hosting our 2016 AppSec Conference
for Europe or USA? OWASP is actively seeking proposals and we encourage
any community member interested in hosting an *OWASP** **Global *
*Conference* to submit a proposal.
Hosting a conference requires commitment, responsibility and a lot of time,
energy and effort to properly plan and implement a conference. For more
information see the How to Host a Conference page.
The dates of each OWASP Global AppSec conference vary somewhat each year
but ideally the conference is held:
· Europe - Q2 2016
· North America - Q3 2016
To bid for a 2016 OWASP Global AppSec please complete the OCMS form
http://www.tfaforms.com/301382 with the following information *by March 2*
***0th, 201****5**.** Please include the following information.*
1. The proposed city and host chapter.
2. The name of the intended local organizer and his/her team committed to
the task for 2016
along with a brief explanation on why the conference committee wants to
organize an OWASP Global AppSec. Include anticipated help from volunteers
before and at the conference.
3. Previous conferences or local/regional events experience of the
4. The intended dates for the conference. (Typically includes 2 days of
pre-conference training, followed by 2 days of conference talks).
5. Venue recommendations. If possible, assurance that the following will be
- A large auditorium with multiple training / lecture rooms near the main
- Projection & internet facilities in all rooms up to modern standards.
- A suitable networking space near the rooms for registration, breaks and
- A hall near the rooms for sponsor exhibitions.
- Green room, storage room, breakout room, capture the flag area, etc.
6. Budget. Please use the form on google docs
many of the categories of expenses are optional, consider this a check
list. You can add as many items as you want and you do not need to fill in
every box if you do not want it to be included in your event.)
7. Possible "big name" speakers in AppSec who might be plenary speakers
with low travel costs.
8. Realistic prospects for obtaining sponsorship from outside bodies, e.g.,
companies, universities, scientific institutes, media, government, etc.
By submitting an application, you are already demonstrating your commitment
to OWASP. We really appreciate every proposal we receive, however not every
proposal will be approved. The selection process that will be made by the
OWASP operations team with input from previous AppSec organizing teams.
· Preference will be given to the community that demonstrates more
· Preference will be given to the team that has successful experience
organizing local/regional events.
· Preference will be given to a location that has not recently hosted a
Global AppSec conference.
· Geographic coverage will be considered when selecting conference sites.
*The deadline for applications is March 20th. *
Should you have any questions concerning the proposal process or need
assistance with your application, please do not hesitate to contact me. We
are looking forward to your proposals!
Paul Ritchie, OWASP Executive Director
paul.ritchie at owasp.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Owasp-board