[Owasp-board] By laws - Contracts

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Mon Feb 23 01:23:51 UTC 2015

Hi Board,

Colin Watson brought up a good point that has bitten us a few times, and
I'm looking for clarity. Colin - please jump in if I overstated or
understated the case.

We have had a number of projects where OWASP has paid a graphic designer or
design firm for delivering (let use a straw example) Cornucopia's design
for the cards, but the eventual art files were never given to the project
or to OWASP so that others can make their own cards.

This violates in my view at least, our commitment to open ideals and the
free exchange of information.

Can we beef up the by laws in the contracts area to make it clear that if
we enter into a contract say for design work, that OWASP is the owner of
the materials for open distribution? Is there a way that we could specify
that unless otherwise negotiated, all delivered materials are for open
publication using one of the approved open source licenses?

thanks,
Andrew