[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Project Summit countdown

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Mon Feb 16 04:27:27 UTC 2015

Michael,

I really think we should either aim for one of several models:

*There are some projects that whilst vital to OWASP's mission, are just
plain difficult to do*. Things like setting out an education syllabus at a
tertiary level requires a university level researcher who understands
pedagogical requirements of tertiary instiutions and solid AppSec outcomes
can build us something. We have not to date - nor I think will ever - find
someone who as a side project will contribute such an enormous effort, and
yet without this key piece of the puzzle, universities will continue to
churn out pen testers, which at best, is a trade. I see this being like a
one year research position, similar to how much of university level
research is made. We have specific requirements for a deliverable, and we
work with say with a chosen institution to get it done on the basis that
the IP and materials at the end comply with our open source licensing
guidelines. This is just one type of Extra Hard Thorny Problem.

*There are some flagship projects that OWASP is famous for*. We can
probably get funding directly from sponsors on this one, and if we could do
so with sufficient funds to go 24-48 months with a hire in place, we can
getr some immense traction. I'm thinking these positions would be like
Linux Foundation's fellows.

*There are some flagship projects that just need a bit more of a boost to
get over the line to gain the self-sustaining momentum*, like the Testing
Guide. These could be assisted by making available project grants so that
folks can travel and be accommodated for at least a week, preferably two,
at an AppSec conference nearest them and get the big jobs done whilst on
site. I see this operating like the IBM redbooks residencies - you are not
ever an OWASP employee, but we help you co-invest in your project by
getting the project leads and resources together to build something
specific.

The problem is that we have had for such a long time that the ONLY people
who cannot be paid by OWASP are the people doing the writing on projects.
Graphic designers can be paid. The publisher can be paid. Firms can create
services from the materials can get paid. Dinis made this really clear on
OWASP-Leaders, and it's pretty much hard wired into the Projects handbook.
This I feel is off putting to those who might otherwise ask how they can
best contribute to OWASP. It's resulted in a lot of smaller projects of
one-two people that don't really change the world, and inaction of the big
projects. Johanna is right - The DevGuide and ASVS are side projects for
me. I can do the ASVS as it's approachable and re-writeable by one person
over a summer break. The DevGuide isn't. The DevGuide needs a leader who
can work full time on it. Whilst I'm a board member, this is almost
certainly not me.

We spent a lot of money in 2011 on the Portugal Project Summit. I don't
think we invested money wisely in that project summit, because we didn't
get a return on investment. None of the three major guides got a rev during
the year after it. The Top 10 didn't get a rev. Look at all the tracks and
working groups. We didn't get a OWASP Universities outcome. We didn't get
an XSS outcome. As far as I can tell, not one of the tracks produced a
deliverable within 12 months of that summit.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee

So I think we need to be a tiny bit brutal and be focused on what we
*specifically* need from any project investments. Maybe we invest in fewer,
higher value projects and add more people to each project, so that we get
some momentum rather than spread it out across all the projects. I don't
know, and I'm a tiny bit conflicted (DevGuide, ASVS). Obviously, if one of
my projects came to a vote, I'd step aside whilst the vote is taken, but we
should probably decide on a budget, a model, and then the projects.
Projects will come and go, but there should always be a budget to be used
and a governance model to make sure the budget investment is used wisely
and produces specific deliverables for OWASP and it's mission both inside
and outside of OWASP.

The bigger projects - if we decide on those they we think are valuable and
should continue - need some form of investment. We've spent perilously
close to zero dollars since 2011 on projects. This must change, and we must
shout it from the rooftops once we decide on strategic projects and
investment models.

Thoughts?

Andrew