[Owasp-board] Project Summit countdown

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun Feb 8 18:17:11 UTC 2015

>Back to the Project Summit, the interesting question is: *should OWASP
invest 50k or 100k on its projects? *

Well that is the golden question. I have the impression that key decision
makers are reluctant for this part, since it is not clear what will be the
output from this. This has being mentioned to me in the past.

The question is, how effective is to invest 50 or 100k in a summit and what
do we get out of it?

I think OWASP should at least invest and help promote those flagship
projects and LABS/Incubators doing an excellent work . That is how Project
leaders can promote and spread the word out about their projects with OWASP
support. But, what about new blood and innovative thinking? I'm seeing many
vulnerabilities that are not being handle with new projects or fresh
approaches.

The key factor is, there is low participation and motivation within the
Project leaders. There is not really new blood of ideas coming in and some
leaders have decided to start their projects outside OWASP.

This is what we need to change and reach, more participation, community
bonding and innovative projects.

*An idea*
All major flagship/LABS and the best incubators projects should be present
at Defcon/OWASP conference  for the "OWASP Hackaton Contest"

Budget: 50,000K
Goals:

   - Build new features for OWASP projects,
   - Promote OWASP projects and Chapters
   - Help actual projects to move fwd with development
   - Get new volunteers to work on projects
   - Start new innovative projects

OWASP Hackaton Activities:

   - Help build new features,
   - Start a new innovative project
   - Become an owaps member/volunteer/start a chapter
   - Write documentation,
   - Motivation for participation: get recognition and a price(plenty small
   prices can be given away such as : Drinks/Food vouchers , T-Shirts etc).

This hackaton should be fun, and help people connect and participate

regards

Johanna