[Owasp-board] Hawaii Conference

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Mon Aug 31 22:21:57 UTC 2015

From experience planning appsecusa I have a couple comments

1 you definitely need boots on the ground who know they area and can meet in person. We've got Jim so good here.

2. You do need a bunch of volunteers during the event. I bet a regional event could do with 20-30. I think this could work for the Hawaii conf too with attendees.

3. Conference planning could be handled with a remote team as long as you have a regular google hangouts where everyone works together each week. Just emails and "on your own" really doesn't work out.

4. If you reuse existing websites (e.g. Use appsecusa as a template) then you'll save tons of time and just tweet the content.

So, I think it could be possible but be ready to put in a lot of time. Appsecusa has been planning since March 2015 and has been holding weekly working meetings for the past 9 months.  My guess is that you wouldn't need as much time, but it's surprising how much it does take.