[Owasp-board] Hawaii Conference

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Mon Aug 10 20:12:46 UTC 2015

Jim,

Here's one potential way to start digging into the opportunity. You of
course know most of this already from your board work, just providing some
perspective.

1. Consider if you want to try for a national conference or a regional
conference. The tradeoffs here are largely around size and risk. A regional
conference is typically smaller (which by no means less awesome). Think of
the Southern California conference which is intimate at around 200 people
and absolutely amazing! As you've seen, these events still draw amazing
speakers.

A national conference on the other hand is going to have more structure
around profit goals since it's a major fundraiser for the organization.
Most likely this would necessitate a bigger event 1000+ attendees.

2. Run the numbers on attendees - Based on location you would have the best
chance with West Coast from North America, some midwesterners and perhaps
Australia and asia. You can work with Laura to understand the attendee
demographics for conferences, but in general about 50% of attendees are
from the regional area.

3. Run the numbers on cost for attendees - What is the typical airfare for
an attendee to get to Hawaii? What is the lodging? It could be the same
costs as a mainland flight to NYC or SF, if so, that's a really good point
to make if it costs the same.

4. Other cons - have other security conferences been held on Hawaii? How
many people showed up? Perhaps they are bigger or smaller organizations and
this can give you an idea of how it went for them.

Hope this helps. My opinion (without knowing the above information) is that
you could go a regional conference route and create an amazing experience
for a few hundred people.

--
Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>
OWASP Global Board