[Owasp-board] For Discussion - Hourly contractor for wiki housekeeping

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Sat Aug 8 19:09:10 UTC 2015

FYI:  My understanding of the general use of Wikis is that deletion is the
'nuclear' option and only be used very sparingly.  I tend to use redirects
rather then deletions so that any inward links find useful content.  I'd
suggest that as a general strategy over deleting a page since it preserves
the history of the older page, is easier to do then deletions and can be
undone in future should needs change.

The last time I did a page deletion was several years ago where there was
something accidentally posted to the wiki which raised privacy issues for
the particular country where those members lived.  To be honest, you work
against the wiki software when you do a deletion quite by design.

For empty or never updated default project pages, I'd simply redirect those
to the main project page on the wiki.  I think we will do ourselves a favor
to keep inbound links working even if they redirect to other related
content.  If someone is coming to the wiki, it is presumably to find some
content so providing related content via a  redirect is preferable to a
'this page has been deleted' or an empty 'edit me' page in my opinion.

HTH.

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP WTE Project Lead