[Owasp-board] Monthly Update to Chapter Leaders on OWASP Funding

Paul Ritchie paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Mon Aug 3 16:39:38 UTC 2015

To OWASP Board List:

We recently started sending out a monthly email to individual Chapter
leaders showing them exactly what their Chapter budget balance is.
We also pointed them to the funding page for policies on how to spend the
money, and how to 'request' additional money if their Chapter budget was
low.

This effort by Kate & Noreen has been well received and greatly appreciated
as demonstrated by the note below.

A few Chapter leaders have always known how to access and use their budget,
but our goal is to ensure that 'All OWASP Chapter Leaders" know how to
access their chapter budgets, or seek Funding from the Foundation using the
policies and links outlined below.

Paul

*From:* "Timur 'x' Khrotko (owasp)" <timur at owasp.org>
*Date:* July 31, 2015 at 8:12:23 PM EDT
*To:* Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
*Subject:* *Re: Chapter Fund Balance*

Thank you, Kate, for the update and info, very useful!
Have a nice evening!
timur

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 12:31 AM Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
wrote:

> Hello Timur kHrotko
>
> Below is your account balance for the Hungary chapter.
>
> USD 406.00
>
> Here is a list of things you can do with your funding to support OWASP’s
> mission:
>

>    - Food and drinks for attendees at chapter meetings
>    - Giveaways for attendees at chapter meeting
>    - Recognition gifts for speakers at chapter meetings
>    - Buying books for study groups or chapter meeting raffles
>    - Hosting an annual security conference
>    - Purchasing A/V equipment to broadcast and record monthly meetings
>    - Hiring trainers to give free and/or reduced rate training for our
>    members
>    - Covering travel expenses for speakers to come to your meetings or to
>    send members to an OWASP AppSec conference
>    - Funding activities and giveaways at your local OWASP student chapter
>    - Contributing funds to other chapters that can use the help
>    - Contributing funds to OWASP projects and programs
>

> Be sure to check the Donation Scoreboard frequently for your current
> balance:
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/11acTOmtmBGq6-
> 5CIGsjlEByU8POSGqda0r23VNnhEGQ/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&output=html
>

> If you are short on funding, you may request up to $500 from our Community
> Engagement program to help get your chapter going.  There is a $2000/year
> limit per chapter, but the funds are there to help you with your chapter's
> needs. You can also reach out to other chapters who may be willing to
> support your chapter out of their own allocations. Be sure to look at the
> Funding rules and make it happen!
>

> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Funding
>

> If you have an idea for something that is not covered in the funding
> guidelines or in the Chapter Leader Handbook, feel free to send us a note
> to explain your idea. If it supports our mission, we will work with you to
> make it happen.
>

> Remember that OWASP is YOUR organization and our chapters are vital to its
> success.
>

> Thank you for your continued support as an OWASP chapter leader.
>

> Noreen Whysel
>
> Community Manager
>
> OWASP Foundation

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie