[Owasp-board] Compliance Officer for 2015

Martin Knobloch martin.knobloch at owasp.org
Thu Apr 30 08:11:08 UTC 2015

All,

Due to the upcomming AppSec-Eu conference, I have not been able to join the
last board call.

For your remark, Matt, just some thoughts that cam up when reading your
comment (and writing this):

The regular ongoing cases are not the problem. Indeed, in case of a major
compliant case, as last year, I do not scale much as one person. Saying, as
I am volunteer in this role, a case of that extend as last year does take
quite some resources in time-wise.
Also, I have a serious feeling (you never can tell for sure) in person
meeting with the involved parties could have prevented  the case to blow up
as it did. In the past I have asked if a travel budget during a serious
case would be possible, but was rejected by the previous board. I
understand the reasoning, we are IT people and know you can meet online,
but in such a case in person meetings are very helpful. You just can talk
differently in a private space, face to face, than online.

As I am involved in OWASP for quite some time, many have become friends.
Luckily, until now parties have always accepted and approved my
independence and objectiveness.
This might be more difficult for a committee, I don't know.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about the idea of a compliant
committee, in previous emails I have explained my concerns about creating a
compliance committee.
Most definitely, it differs from regular committees, as there is a trust
factor to be taken in account. It cannot be, as for current committee
setup, you register and you are in.

As we hopefully will not face to many complaint cases of the extent of the
one major case we had so far, a committee is not solving much:
- scalability
- local presence (could be interesting)

As the responsibility of my role is defined, it is to investigate, mediate
where possible, report and advice the board.
To be honest, in my experience after last year, I rather predict a
complaint committee can make communications cumbersome. Therefore, I
currently see more problems than than solutions in having a complaint
committee.

Cheers,
-martin

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
-martin

Martin Knobloch
OWASP AppSec-Eu/Research 2015 Conference Chair
OWASP Netherlands Chapter Leader

Email: martin.knobloch at owasp.org
Mobile: +31623226933
Twitter:  @AppsScE