[Owasp-board] Proposal: Eliminate Restriction on Account Balance for Community Engagement Funding

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Apr 29 22:00:48 UTC 2015

Paul,

The projects have over $37,804 total in their accounts with almost 25% of
that belonging to ZAP; who will likely be the biggest user of these funds
based on what I've heard so far regarding interest.  Frankly, ZAP has more
money than all but 8 of our chapters.  I've got nothing against ZAP.  What
I am against is the hypocrisy from many Board members over the years saying
that we should be concerned about "ring fenced" funds, but then they fail
to stand up for this ideal when it really actually could have made not only
a statement, but also an impact.  So, I'd ask you Paul, given the vote that
took place today, why shouldn't every chapter and every project have the
ability to petition for funds from the community funding budget just as
this Summer of Code initiative has done?  I'm not saying that every request
has to be granted, just that they should be considered in the same manner
that SoC was given, with no restrictions placed simply because they have
money in their account.  And I leave it in your teams hands to make the
decision as to which initiatives have the most merit for those funds.  This
SoC thing has opened my eyes to a whole new perspective on how positive it
can be to consider all proposals, regardless of who is receiving the money.

~josh