[Owasp-board] Proposal: Eliminate Restriction on Account Balance for Community Engagement Funding

Paul Ritchie paul.ritchie at owasp.org
Wed Apr 29 21:32:08 UTC 2015

All - I appreciate the differing viewpoints on this, however I cannot agree
with removing the limiting language for the Community Engagement funds.

The limiting language is an OWASP policy statement and its purpose is to
'encourage' and require that Chapters & projects use their local budgets
first.

Recall, the Chapters now have over $500,000 in their budgets.  It is
growing, which means the Chapters are spending less then they are gaining
every year.

The Foundation has only about $60,000 annually, or 12% of that amount, in
its Community Engagement fund which must be used across all Chapters.
Factoid - 178 out of 222 Chapters have less than $2,000 in their local
budget.

So, net net, today's decision to invest $12,000 of Foundation funds in a
'Summer of Code' program may have been an 'exception' to normal policy.
However, I do not think it was intended to change our original policy that
.....'Chapter and Project budgets must be used first'.

Paul

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
OWASP Interim Executive Director
paul.ritchie at owasp.org