[Owasp-board] OWASP Summer Code Sprint Proposal

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Apr 8 12:05:41 UTC 2015

I'm sorry but I cannot support this. Flagship projects are already
advanced, stable projects with a lot of development effort behind them and
a large team of volunteers to support them

Let me clarify something. After reviewing projects such as Flasghips, and I
have been doing this for about 2 years, these are , by most ,the product of
the *hard work of their leaders*, not of a *large* team of volunteers. Look
at the repository commits and you will see is, that there is not a *huge*
amount of people working on them, but a couple at most 1 or 2 during
different seasons or months. Their leaders have master the ability to
*engage* volunteer efforts thats is an accomplishment we should encourage
and give credit for.

Some of them have sponsors, some of them can afford to work on their
project more than others, but I hope your misconception of a huge team of
volunteers is corrected.Or even a huge budget. sk Abraham, Simon or
Azzedine Ramrari...

Hackademics is a lab project at the moment right? Well, LABS also get
benefits, maybe we should include them in this part. Not all of these are
active, some have not even had commits in 6 months or even an entire year
and most have only at max  1 contributor . That will make the list even
shorter for the projects that can actually participate.

OWASP board should ask : *why do we want to pump money on projects that
have hardly time to dedicate development efforts and why they fail at
getting volunteers?*

*Maybe thats the reason why Gsoc has make the participation limited to more
quality than quantity? (I'm just speculating)*

The tools and code classified as flagships is a different breed that LABS.
Thats the whole point of getting more benefits because they just work
harder than the rest. They don't get this projects off the ground just by
doing Gsoc. These initiatives can help them concrete and improve many
things to make them better, but lets keep in mind by no means, I mean that
they have reach this stage just because they have money or a battalion of
volunteers, that is a *huge* misconception

Tools [Reviewed February 2015]

   - OWASP Hackademic Challenges Project
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Hackademic_Challenges_Project>
   - OWASP Mantra Security Framework