[Owasp-board] OWASP Summer Code Sprint Proposal

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 01:48:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:32 PM, johanna curiel curiel
<johanna.curiel at owasp.org> wrote:
[...snip...]
> Just keep in mind
>
> Running this program is a lot of work
> Submissions, proposals forms etc, the entire workflow
> Do we have enough volunteers to run this show?
>

> With all due respect to Kostas, this is not something he can run alone. The
> Gsoc is run by Google and we only do a small portion as organisation admin
> and Mentoring, compared to the entire program
> Here is an entire administration, back office, payment, revision of progress
> etc..so lets be honest, can we run this with a small bunch of volunteers?
> Are these volunteers committed?
> Most people do not have time, so lets be realistic, especially and
> considering we also have a responsibility with this money

All good points and I have seriously doubted whether OWASP would be
unable to do all of the things necessary to pull this off at least for THIS
SUMMER. Time certainly is not something that is on our side.  I fear
that all we are seeing with respect to the # of volunteer hours is but
the tip of the iceberg and it as you say that we are missing the much
bigger effort that goes on behind the scenes. If we had a whole year
to prepare for this, then, yeah, we probably could pull it off, but with
only a few months remaining until traditional summer break, I personally
don't see it as very realistic expectations.

I'll go crawl back under my rock again now and just sit back and watch,
because I did not intend to participate as a GSoC (tor)mentor this
yes so I will be sitting this out as well. However, I wish you all the
best and applaud your good intentions.

-kevin
--
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.