[Owasp-board] OWASP Summer Code Sprint Proposal

Fabio Cerullo fcerullo at owasp.org
Mon Apr 6 21:33:24 UTC 2015

Jim,

Please allow me to explain a submission process might work for everyone:

1) Student review the ideas suggested by mentors. For example, GSOC 2015 Ideas: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2015_Ideas <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2015_Ideas>
2) Based on those ideas, the students submit their own ideas/projects. Usually there are dozens of ideas submitted by students, some are good, some are poor, and some are completely new. The mentors are not involved at this stage other than answering questions to the students. There is a deadline for the students submission.
3) The 'project leaders/mentors team' are the ones who evaluate and pick the best students proposals because they know about their projects. In the past, we allowed all mentors to score all proposals and that is what caused an issue because some people ‘down voted’ other proposals to let their own proposals to score higher.
4) The 'org team' makes sure that there is no wrong doing by reviewing scores/etc. Last year, the issue above was identified by Kostas/staff and it was promptly addressed. An additional control that could be implemented, and we were hoping to implement this year at GSOC, is that no mentor could vote on other project proposals (e.g. ZAP mentors cannot down vote on OWTF proposals and viceversa). So that will bubble up naturally all the best proposals for each corresponding project based on scores from the project leaders/mentors.
5) Finally, the org team in conjunction with the project mentors team then decide how many slots each project will get.

Does it sound fair?

Fabio Cerullo
Global Board Member
OWASP Foundation