[Owasp-board] Fwd: Public Apology + Strategy

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Apr 1 16:57:11 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Abraham Aranguren <abraham.aranguren at owasp.org>
Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Subject: Public Apology + Strategy
To: "owasp-gsoc-mentors at googlegroups.com" <
owasp-gsoc-mentors at googlegroups.com>

Hi folks,

As per my private comments, I'd like to apologise once again -because
it's never enough! ;)- here:

I would like to publicly apologise to: Johanna, Colm, Simon and every
other OWASP mentor who might have been offended by my previous comments,
I was too stressed and did not watch my language, please ignore those
comments and please forgive me.

When I see someone down-ranking one of our top guys with a "1", I hope
you understand that I am a bit upset (please only use "1" or "2" for
"spammy" or "very weak" proposals respectively), whoever you are, you
are fighting the wrong fight, look @ my strategy below, let's fight
together not against each other please!

re Strategy:

Google allocates 1 slot for every 2 mentors. Given that we have 88
proposals, *mentors* is our next cap for slots, our limit is *44* slots if
we had 88 OWASP mentors registered (44!!!). I am told we have 50 mentors
registered, keep them coming! (that is 25 slots!)
If you are a project leader this year, I would like to encourage you to
focus on getting more mentors (constructive) instead of down-ranking
good proposals from the "competition" (destructive), so that you cover
the MAX slots you could possibly handle in your project. This will
ensure all OWASP projects have a chance!

What I have done about it:
OWTF has 30 confirmed mentors so far, this means that, OWTF has
*created* 15 OWASP slots, which is 7 *more* than the MAX OWTF could
possibly handle (8, and we are not sure about 1 of those yet :P).
In other words: OWTF has created 7 slots for *other* OWASP projects.

I have killed myself to achieve this, and I hope OWTF is not viewed as:
"the nasty OWASP project that takes all slots and leaves other OWASP
projects with nothing"
but as:
"the OWASP project that worked hard to generously create slots for
*other* OWASP projects, in addition to covering its own MAX slots possible"

We took 5 out of 11 OWASP slots last year (1 student was lost in the
de-dup process later), this kicked other OWASP projects out of "slot
range" and I understand some OWASP mentors might view us as a threat
this year because of that.
Now please, this year is different, we are creating slots for
*ourselves* + *other* OWASP projects

All OWASP projects deserve a chance, but all GSoC candidates that fought
their proposals with passion deserve a chance too, with enough slots,
all OWASP projects AND amazing GSoC candidates can be happy, please fight
the
right fight and get more mentors for your project.

Thank you everybody,

Abe