[Owasp-board] Fwd: Public Apology + Strategy

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Apr 1 17:09:37 UTC 2015

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amr Thabet <amr.thabet at owasp.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM
Subject: Re: Public Apology + Strategy
To: psiinon <psiinon at gmail.com>
Cc: owasp-gsoc-mentors at googlegroups.com, Abraham Aranguren <
abraham.aranguren at owasp.org>

Yes .. I totally agree with you
On Mar 27, 2014 12:05 PM, "psiinon" <psiinon at gmail.com> wrote:

I agree - I made a similar point on another thread.
The rankings are very important, but should not be the only criteria we use.

I agree that all participating projects should get one slot, if they have a
good enough proposal (each project leader should decide this).

After that I think the main factors involved are:

   - The ranking everyone gives
   - The ranking the project leader gives
   - The number of mentors available to mentor each project
   - How active the project is
   - How well it can cope with an influx of contributors
   - The importance to OWASP (ie what does OWASP as an org want to get out
   of this)

Personally I dont think it would be sensible for one project to take all of
the slots after the 'one/project' slots are taken, even if that project was
ZAP.

I would also advise project leaders _not_ to take on students that they
dont think will have a good chance of being successful - a poor student who
needs a lot of mentoring could actually damage your project, either with
their poor code or with the mentors time that they essentially waste.

We need some balance, but thats difficult for us project leaders to decide
on.

Not quite sure how we should handle this, but my suggestion is that we see
what projects _would_ be selected if we just went by overall ranking, then
start arguing our cases.

The final decision(s) should be made by individuals who dont have projects
that will end up with slots.

Cheers,

Simon

--