[Owasp-board] OWASP Summer Code Sprint Proposal

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Apr 1 14:18:28 UTC 2015

+1 We have a legal obligation to keep age out of the criteria. Perhaps make
attending college a criteria instead?

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Apr 1, 2015, at 5:43 AM, Noreen Whysel <noreen.whysel at owasp.org> wrote:

Johanna,

I hope you will reconsider <35 as a requirement. As someone who earned a
graduate degree at age 45 I am a bit sensitive to this. You could make it
high school only or undergrad only but, as a US organization, any overt age
discrimination might run afoul of US law, unless it is specifically for
under age 18.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation

On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:10 AM, johanna curiel curiel <johanna.curiel at owasp.org>
wrote:

Hi Fabio

I think we need to separate the roles. All volunteers are welcome but they
should not be mentors
Example: If I'm a mentor I cannot be in the selection committee.

I agree that the selection committee cannot select the best candidates for
project leaders, therefore I propose that the pre-selection of candidates
is done by the mentors/project leaders

The selection committee evaluates the candidates that the project
leaders/mentors have chosen for the project
Project leaders/mentors must evaluate based on a criteria that the
selection committee has prepared, for example:

   - Age of the candidate (candidates older than 35 are suspicious ;-))
   - Which university/ study year attending
   - A proof of attendance on that university and we need to confirm this
   is true (Google does this)(someone must call the universities/get an email)
   - Proposal must be completely filled in to qualify
   - A clear statement and motivation why is he/she  the best candidate
   - All projects should have the same amount of slots (1 or 2)
   - History of the candidate: is he/she a contributor or is this the first
   time? if the student is already a contributor, he/she gets a plus point
   - A short CV experience of the candidate with the technology/programming
   language to be used
   - All project leaders and students must have a blog/wiki reporting their
   weekly progress, so the committee can check how is everyone doing
   - Most important of all: In order to qualify the student must commit a
   small contribution. This will help filter the students that are
   serious.(like the Outreach Program for women)

As you also know, Gsoc has a huge amount of deserting students or students
with double jobs. This is a situation we do not want to have, so anything
that sets the bar high will help to filter serious students from phoney ones

Regards

Johanna